Tanzania Community Health and Social Welfare Systems Strengthening Project
SENIOR TECHNICAL ADVISOR
The Community Health and Social Welfare Systems Strengthening (CHSS) Program is a five-year USAID funded cooperative agreement led by JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. with partner World Education, Inc. CHSSP goal is to build capacity of the Government of Tanzania’s health and social welfare structures at the community level to enable more accessible, higher quality health and social welfare services for HIV affected and other vulnerable populations in targeted communities in Tanzania.
The Senior Technical Advisor is a full time position based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The Senior Technical Advisor’s responsibilities shall include the overall coordination of program advisory activities conducted by the program advisors to get correlated technical package, and ensuring that the Zonal Offices receive timely technical assistance and support in order to contribute to achieving an AIDS-free generation and the HIV epidemic control goal of PEPFAR 3.0. S/he is responsible for oversight/management of program staff, namely Gender Advisor, Systems Strengthening Advisor, Social Welfare Advisor, and Training Manager, and will report to the project’s Deputy Chief of Party.
• Provide overall coordination of the advisory activities of CHSSP to ensure CHSSP’s contribution to PEPFAR 3.0 strategic goal of HIV epidemic control in Tanzania through systems strengthening toward improved service provision across the core HIV care continuum;
• Provide technical support to CHSSP’s Zonal Offices through advisors to ensure their input in the development of CHSSP’s annual work plans as well as timely completion of each Regional Office’s annual work plan;
• Coordinate effectively with the project’s Technical Advisors to ensure the Zonal Offices receive timely technical assistance to maximize integration and synergies of the objectives and strategies of CHSSP;
• Provide timely and quality updates for the Deputy Chief of Party on the status of technical implementation activities at zonal levels;
• Support the Zonal Offices through program advisors with the preparation of high quality program technical briefs and presentation for GOT, USAID, and other stakeholders;
• Assist theDeputy Chief of Party representation of CHSSP as appropriate and necessary with relevant internal and external counterparts, partners, and stakeholders;
• Assist the Deputy Chief of Party to ensure that the project implementation adheres to national and internationally accepted technical norms and standards and that best practices and approaches are well-documented and highlighted throughout project implementation;
• Lead annual performance assessments, goal setting, and assist professional development for directly reporting technical staff;
• A Master’s Degree or higher in business or public administration, social work, public health, international development or an equivalent field;
• At least seven years of progressive experience designing and implementing community health and health systems strengthening programs in sub-Saharan Africa or other resource-limited settings;
• Ability to work in diverse settings with public, private, and NGO sectors;
• Excellent organizational, analytical, oral, and written communication skills;
• Experience with PEPFAR and USAID programs and knowledge of US Government policies and procedures, highly desirable;
• Demonstrated experience producing high quality English-language communication products such as progress reports, case studies, and research protocols;
• Ability to work to tight deadlines and to maintained the focus of teams on meeting deadlines;
• Proven experience in motivating and supporting multi-disciplinary teams and providing leadership to complex programs with vast geographical reach;
• Ability to travel within Tanzania for up to 40% of the time;
• Demonstrated skills in spoken and written English at ILR Level 4 or the equivalent;
• Experience in sub-Saharan Africa required, Tanzania experience preferred; and
• Tanzanian national preferred.
Interested candidates are required to send a cover letter, current CV before end of 20th April, 2017 to
Chief of Party,
JSI Research & Training Institute Inc.
Community Health & Social Welfare Systems Strengthening Program/Tanzania
Tel: +255 759 467354
13 Pieter's Lane,
Masaki, Dar es Salaam
JSI - R & T is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or protected veteran status in any employment decisions. M/F/V/D