CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 2: The role holder will have access to personal data about children and/or young people as part of their work; or they will be working in a ‘regulated’ position; therefore a police check will be required.
ROLE PURPOSE: The Finance Assistant is a member of the Finance Team and is accountable for ensuring cash and cheques payments are issued in a timely and accurate manner in compliance with SCI procedures. The post holder will ensure the cashbox and cheque books will at all times be stored securely, the support paper work attached to each voucher is completed and filled. In addition, cashbooks and bankbooks are updated regularly and are ready for review on a weekly and monthly basis.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Finance Officer
Number of direct reports: None
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Issue petty cash in line with SCI procedures & policies.
- File all associated paperwork associated with such transactions.
- Prepare Payment Vouchers for all transactions
- Record fully all transactions on an excel cashbook (daily basis).
- Follow up on late clearing of floats.
- Ensure the cashbox is stored securely during cash hours.
- Ensure sufficient cash is available in the various required denominations.
- Prepare weekly cash counts for each currency at week-end and month end, reconciling cash balances to cashbook balances – ensuring all codes are fully input.
- Ensure all PVs scanned and uploaded in shared drive under finance folder after the payment done.
Process cheque payments by:
- Receiving backed up invoices from Logistics/admin/Field locations.
- Preparation of Payment Authorisation Forms for approval.
- Forwarding well backed up invoices to authorised signatories for approval.
- Proper tracking of all invoices in various stages of processing.
- Preparation of cheques in line with SCI policies.
- Ensuring all invoices/payment requests (properly backed up) are fully processed within 1 week of being received in finance department.
- Filing all associated paperwork associated with all Dar cash/bank receipts or payments.
- Recording all transactions on an excel cashbook on a daily basis, ensuring coding is done properly.
- Ensuring cheques/cheque books are stored safely and securely while out of safe.
- Ensuring new cheque books are ordered in good time
- Responsible for checking and signing off on daily bank statements to ensure all debits and credits are in line with actual bank receipts and payments.
Ensure month end cashbooks and bank books are ready for the finance officer’s review by the 2nd day of the following month.
Liaison with bank:
- Negotiation of exchange rate with bankers for foreign currency transactions.
- Follow up of Banking matters including stop orders, incorrect bank charges etc
- Through liaison with Finance Officer/Manager/Finance Director follow up on updating list of bank signatories.
- Bank cheque confirmation
Any other relevant duties that may be assigned.
Ensure the effective and efficient use of all SCI resources in order to keep costs low and ensure the security of staff.
Comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child protection, health and safety, security, equal opportunities and other relevant policies.
Facilitate provision of financial information during external and internal audit.
Support the Zanzibar Finance Officer, Programme Manager and Zanzibar Representative on review of monthly expenditures and identify any miss posting &/corrections.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
Willing to take disciplined risks.
Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
At least Advanced diploma or Degree in Accounts.
At least 2 years accounting experience
Excellent computer skills (Preferably SUN accounting System and Excel)
Experience in supporting and training other staff essential
Demonstrated good skills and experience in managing financial and office administration systems
Knowledge and experience of financial computer applications, including spreadsheets (e.g. Excel).
Knowledge and experience in word processing and internet communications (including MS Word, Outlook, Internet Explorer)
Good personal organisational skills, including time management and ability to meet deadlines
Good communication and interpersonal skills as pertinent to working within a complex English-speaking team setting
Ability to work as part of the team and to fit in well with the organisation
Attention to detail and accuracy essential
Ability to work under pressure
Commitment to, and understanding of, Save the Children’s aims, values, principals, and the Child Protection Policy
Previous experience with an international organisation is desirable
Previous work experience with Charity or NGO/INGO
Location: Zanzibar - Unguja, Tanzania
Contract - Full-Time
Closing date: Wednesday 10 May 2017
All jobs close at midnight UK time on the date specified