Lead all back-office, technology, and supply chain functions in our 5,500+ person organization.
Our Global Director of Systems will be one of the most influential people in the organization and will quickly join the organization-wide leadership group. S/he will be a key deputy to the Global Director of Operations and will lead all back-office, technology, and supply chain functions in our 5,500+ person organization, spanning several departments.
The overarching goals of this role are to:
- Continue building best-in-class supply chain, client data management, customer service, and software/technology functions
- Grow our operations teams in an efficient and scalable manner to serve more clients across a larger geography
- Drive innovation across all operations teams to adapt to the needs of a changing program model, as well as new business units
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
SETTING VISION & STRATEGY
- Work with senior leaders to collaboratively set and execute on long-term vision for all operations functions, under the “Systems Division” umbrella
- Work with leadership on organizational design and change management, to help maintain a high-performing, motivated, and impactful team
- Build and maintain strong collaborative working relationships across several global departments, and amongst key leaders in all countries
- Identify and execute on key areas of strategic innovation
- Building Team: Day-to-day management of multiple director-level staff, with a total team size of several dozen staff.
The following teams fall under the management of the Global Director of Systems:
- Supply chain (rural distribution & input purchasing), Procurement, Client Data Management, Customer Service, Software Development, IT Operations
- Global Director of Systems will be responsible for rapidly growing the careers of the leaders of these departments through weekly check-ins and workshops, ongoing development feedback, and bi-annual career reviews.
- Guiding Execution on Key Organizational Initiatives: By working through their teams, they will deliver results on key organizational initiatives related to all aspects of our operations, including:
- Drive down costs to the farmer through smart purchasing and supply chain efficiencies
- Improve the controls environment to minimize input loss
- Adapt supply chain to offer new products to a broader geography
- Build tools on tablets and mobile phones that improve field-force effectiveness, client impact, and operational efficiency
- Implement mobile payment systems across all of our countries of operation
- Maintain and improve our in-house, custom CRM system
- Improve data flows between key operational data systems to support analysis and decision making
- Customer Service and Protection
- Scale the teams and systems required to receive inquiries and feedback from hundreds of thousands of customers, and monitor and enforce our client protection principles
- Generally - design and implement innovative and impactful systems that can scale across several countries in E. Africa, Europe, North America, and Asia
Note: Most work will be done through our incredible team of key deputies and department directors, but direct involvement in sketching, creating, and editing of key deliverables will be required.
Leading Innovation in Operations: Drive innovation across all operations functions, by thinking creatively and outside the box. Example focus areas include:
- Increase delivery network flexibility, allowing farmers to order goods more frequently and receive them with less lag time
- Identify opportunities to digitize data flow to improve operational efficiency
- Explore new client communication channels, such as two-way SMS, interactive voice, and call centers
Serve as the global voice for all operations-related issues, to the organization and top leadership.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager and a global support team will commit significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions.
We are seeking exceptional candidates with 8-15+ years work experience as a general manager/ leader in a fast-growing organization, and a propensity for innovation – C-level executives or co-founders would be ideal candidates. Prior operations experience preferred but not required, if the candidate has held a senior-level position at an innovative organization. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Passion for operations, building scalable and efficient systems and solving problems in a difficult operating environment
- Proven ability to manage teams and develop leaders; experience in remote management a plus
- Strong data and analytical skills; advanced Excel a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in a multi-cultural workplace in a developing country a plus
- Creativity and strong problem-solving skills
- Top-performing educational background; related Master’s Degree is an asset, but not strictly required
- We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service.
- A willingness to commit to living in East Africa for at least two years – this is a long-term, career-track role.
- Language: Fluent English required
PREFERRED START DATE
East Africa field site or capital city, with up to 25% travel (initial six months will require 50% time in rural East Africa)
Minimum 2 years commitment, full-time job
We offer a modest starting salary that affords a high quality of life in our areas of operation. This is a career-track role with performance-based raises and the ability to expand responsibilities over time.
Health insurance, immunizations, flights, housing.
SPONSOR INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES
East Africans strongly encouraged to apply.