Training Advisor - Carpentry, Joinery and site Construction
Lindi with occasional travelling to Mtwara, Tanzania
V E T A (Tanzania)
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
When you have a passion of sharing your knowledge in teaching as well as carpentry and construction in an international setting, this is your job! With your contribution, the level of education in this area of Tanzania can be brought to a higher level. In this role, you will work collaboratively with carpentry teachers within VETA (the Vocational Education and Training Authority) in Lindi and occasionally travel to Mtwara. The purpose of this role is to improve the standards of carpentry education and workshops to meet IVQ (International Vocational Quality) standards. She or he will also support other advisors within the project to work together as a team to deliver the objectives of the project. Moreover, she or he will dedicate time to help and instruct teachers. The purpose of these instructions is to achieve that teachers learn more on how to maintain tools, link carpentry and construction as well as designs of different structures.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
Degree and/or Advance Diploma in Vocational training or QTS certification or the equivalent with particular experience in carpentry and construction or building , drawing, and mathematics
• Experience of three or more years in teaching methodology from vocational training facility or related institution is highly recommended for this position
• Have at least two years of experience in the practical vocational training.
• Experience in installing, repair and maintain carpentry systems and fixtures in residential, commercial, institutional, industrial or public buildings.
• Experience in management of information systems.
• Experience in reading blueprints, drawings and specifications to determine the layout of carpentry systems.
It is vital that the Adviser in this role has proficient understanding of:
• Water distribution and waste water disposal in residential, commercial and/or industrial buildings;
• Relevant building codes, legislation, regulations, policies and procedures of installation and maintenance;
• African economic, cultural and political environment;
• Machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair and maintenance.
• Vocational training, preferably specialised in carpentry and pipe fitting;
• Facilitation and negotiation skills;
• Literacy and ability to effectively use Office software and modern communication tools (Internet, LAN, email and related software;
• Confident in training, communication and presentation, also competent in coaching others.
Allowance and accommodation
All volunteers have an allowance paid in local currency. The allowance meets reasonable living expenses in country, but will not be enough to send money home.
VSO works with some of the poorest communities in the world which means accommodation varies and will be basic.
How to apply
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description to read more details about the position and the skills and experience we’re looking for. To submit your application, click on ‘Apply now’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
Application closing date 31 Mar 2018
Interview/Assessment date(s)To be confirmed
TO APPLY CLICK HERE