Application Deadline : 19-Jan-18 (Midnight New York, USA)
Time left : 10d 0h 52m
Additional Category : Gender Equality
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date :
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 25-Jan-2018
Duration of Initial Contract : 45 Working days
Expected Duration of Assignment : 45 Working days
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls, the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality are translated into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts while building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
In September 2015, governments united behind the ambitious 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, which features 17 new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and 169 targets that aim to end poverty, combat inequalities and promote prosperity by 2030 while protecting the environment. The 2030 Agenda sets out a historic and unprecedented level of ambition to “Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls by 2030” (SDG 5) as well as including 37 gender-related targets in 10 other SDGs. It commits to addressing core issues of gender equality such as eliminating all forms of violence against women and girls, eradicating discriminatory laws and constraints on sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recognizing and valuing unpaid care and domestic work and increasing women’s participation in decision-making
To successfully track the implementation of the 2030 Agenda, a robust and equally ambitious monitoring framework is needed. Significant investments in gender statistics are necessary to ensure that evidence-based policies are devised, the impacts of these policies are assessed and the accountability of policymakers and governments to deliver on these commitments is promoted. Robust indicators and quality data are of critical importance and will determine whether policy efforts are marshalled and whether the goals and targets are achieved or missed.
To support member states in implementing the 2030 Agenda, UN Women’s Flagship Programme Initiative (FPI), “Making Every Woman and Girl Count (MEWGC)” aims to affect a radical shift in the availability, accessibility and use of data and statistics on key aspects of gender equality and women’s empowerment. Through this global programme, UN Women in the United Republic of Tanzania (URT) will work with the National Bureau of Statistics(NBS) in the mainland; the Office of the Chief Statistician (OCGS) in Zanzibar and other relevant partners to strengthen the production, accessibility and use of gender statistics. It will focus on three inter-related areas of work:
• Building a supportive policy and institutional environment for the localization and effective monitoring of the SDGs;
• Increasing the quality, comparability and regularity of gender statistics to address national data gaps and meet reporting commitments under the SDGs; and
• Ensuring that gender statistics are accessible to users in governments, civil society, academia and the private sector, to strengthen adequate demand for their production.
In regard to the above, UN Women Tanzania Country Office is seeking the services of a Research Assistance to support the Senior Consultant leading the National Needs Assessments, support consultations with key stakeholders, and support the development of the Tanzania country-specific project document, in line with the three areas of focus of the FPI “Making Every Woman and Girl Count (MEWGC)”.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Senior Consultant, the Research Assistant will be responsible for the following key functions:
• Contribute substantial inputs to the development of the inception plan and research methodology;
• Conduct a literature review of policies and legislations relevant to the assignment and summarize results as requested;
• Collect and analyse data and provide insights into the findings, using local knowledge;
• Conduct interviews with a variety of actors, using research methodology developed by the lead consultant;
• Attend meetings, workshops related to the assignment and act as the principle note-taker/rapporteur;
• Assist in the logistical support and planning of meetings, workshops, dialogues and focus group discussions with key stakeholders;
• Summarize and keep records of interviews, dialogues, focus group discussions and other relevant documents;
• Assist in the authoring of the Needs Assessment Report;
• Contribute inputs to the development of project document;
• Manage and respond to correspondence;
• Perform any other related tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Core Values/ Guiding Principles:
• Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
• Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
• Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
• Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
• Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
• Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Work in teams:
• Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Development and Innovation:
• Take charge of self-development and take initiative;
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
• Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behaviour towards others.
• Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
• Knowledge of gender statistics;
• Demonstrated ability to produce clear reports with in-depth analysis and strategic recommendations in English in the relevant fields;
• Demonstrated ability to organise meetings and focus group discussions
• Good communication and interpersonal skills, ability to foster networks and partnerships;
• Very effective at multi-tasking.
Required Skills and Experience
• B.A /BSC in social studies, Statistics, Economics, Gender Study, Development
• Minimum 3 years of experience in conducting and analysing research
• Proven interest in gender equality and empowerment of women
• Knowledge of United Republic of Tanzania (URT) -Tanzania mainland and Zanzibar statistical systems
• Good analytical and reporting skills
• Knowledge of computer programs, including Microsoft Word and Excel
• Experience in logistics
• Strong communication skills both written and verbal.
• Fluency (both oral and written) English and Kiswahili.
6.0 Application procedure:
• CV or P11 (the form that can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment/)
• A letter of interest (in English) indicating availability for the assignment. The consultancy is available for national consultants only.
TO APPLY CLICK HERE