IQVIA is looking for a Animal Diagnostic Manager to be part of our ALPHA Programme in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Managing veterinary diagnostic services delivered in Uganda/ Nigeria/ Ethiopia to meet in-country animal health and business needs, through the following activities, including, but not limited to:
• Development of a sustainable diagnostic infrastructure to improve the correct diagnosis of livestock production diseases affecting farmers in Africa.
• Managing daily operations throughout the laboratory to ensure highest quality analytical results in a safe and organized work environment
• Developing, maintaining and modifying short and long-term planning and services for the lab
• Supervise by planning, assigning, and approving work; rewarding/disciplining; responding to grievances; hiring/firing (or effectively recommending); preparing and signing performance evaluations/reviews of employees
• Researching, developing and performing laboratory procedures and analyses; interpreting and applying results
• Provision of training modules to internal and external teams on veterinary diagnostics through Train-the-trainer approach
• Ensuring compliance with IQVIA laboratory practice policy, local laboratory regulations, and accreditation requirements, including maintaining and updating records and systems for safety and quality standards, protocols and best practices
• Providing information, education and communication of related test results and analyses to veterinary practitioners and clients
• Participate in team and/or BenAfME activities, as appropriate
• Other specific duties and responsibilities as detailed in annual Objectives, or agreed with Line Manager
Collaborates and interacts within the Unit, and externally to:
• Exchange routine, factual information and/or answer routine questions
• Exchange detailed information or resolve varied problems
• Access and/or work with sensitive and/or confidential information
• Identify needs/concerns of others, determine potential solutions, resolve or redirect appropriately
• Persuade, gain cooperation and acceptance of ideas or collaborate on significant projects
• Resolve conflict, negotiate or collaborate on major projects
• Handle sensitive issues and facilitate collaboration at the highest level
• Develop and maintain relationships with key contacts to enhance workflow and work quality.
As part of IQVIA’ business expansion activities in Sub-Saharan Africa, alongside grant funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation , development and implementation of the A.L.P.H.A. initiative in Uganda, Nigeria and Ethiopia is underway with the following objectives:
• Investment in sustainable collaborative business and supply networks that will lead to a thriving animal health and related business community
• Improved availability of IQVIA’ veterinary medicines through importation permits and product registration in selected countries to extend the number of disease interventions available to treat livestock diseases
• Adaption of IQVIA product packaging and manufacturing to ensure the requirements of smallholder farmers are met for smaller product volumes packaged in the most cost-efficient manner
• Local distribution network improvement to go the ‘last mile’ to reach the small holder community
• Improved livestock health and productivity through the reduction of animal diseases
• Development of a sustainable diagnostic infrastructure to improve the correct diagnosis of livestock production diseases affecting farmers in sub-Saharan Africa
• Provision of a full consultancy service to complement diagnostic results and recommend appropriate medicine use and biosecurity measures to maximize the effectiveness of control measures
• Supporting local veterinarians and relevant veterinary authorities in implementing livestock vaccination programs by supplying relevant high-quality vaccines and technical bulletins and services
• Delivery of outreach clinics to improve medicalization of remote farming communities and to deliver relevant education to help increase profitability of small-holders and overall livestock farming.
• Bachelor’s degree in biology, microbiology, chemistry, medical technology or related field
• Postgraduate education including either a Master’s degree and/or a PhD in a related business or scientific discipline
• A DVM (Preferable)
• Over 3 years’ management experience in a diagnostic laboratory, medical laboratory or research laboratory working in bacteriology, histopathology, immunology, medical technology, molecular diagnostics, necropsy, parasitology, pathology, and/or virology
• Previous technical diagnostic experience in a veterinary or medical environment
• Lead or supervisory experience in a laboratory setting
• Excellent leadership skills to manage cohesive, high-output teams
• Excellent communication skills (written and spoken English)
• Excellent organisational skills with diligent record-keeping
• Ability to multi-task and to work to demanding timelines, whilst remaining focused on strategic goals
• Demonstrated competence in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Ability to negotiate to obtain necessary resources and technical support to address project/product needs
• Able to be based full-time in Lagos with some regional travel
• Able to travel to business meetings in Sub-Saharan Africa, Europe and the US.
Candidates who meet the criteria, to please liase with Thapi Mokose to discuss the role further.
• Hospital & Health Care
• Health Care Provider