European Development Fund – Programme Support Unit (EDF – PSU) is within the Ministry of Finance and Planning, established under the External Finance Division.
The European Development Fund (EDF) is the European Union’s (EU) main instrument for providing development aid to African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) countries and to Overseas Countries and Territories (OCTs).The activities of the EDF cooperation are in the fields of economic development, social and human development as well as regional cooperation and integration.
The partnership between Tanzania and the EU is anchored in the Cotonou Partnership Agreement, which is the framework agreement for the EU’s relations since 2000 with 79 countries from Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific (ACP).
The Cotonou Partnership Agreement (CPA) between African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) countries and the European Union (EU) stipulates that, “The Government of each ACP State shall appoint a National Authorising Officer to represent it in all operations financed from the resources from the multi-annual financial framework of cooperation under this Agreement managed by the Commission and the Bank. The National Authorising Officer shall appoint one or more deputy National Authorising Officers to replace him when he is unable to carry out his duties and shall inform the Commission of this appointment”
In Tanzania, the National Authorising Officer of the European Development Fund, is the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of the Finance and Planning.
In order to carry out his mandate as stipulated in the CPA, the Permanent Secretary established EDF – PSU which acts as a quality controller on all EDF Programmes in Tanzania and ensures timely and quality inputs to the EU Project Cycle Management. Also, the unit is the main interlocutor between the EU and Ministries and other entities that are implementing EU funded projects. Day-to-day activities of the unit are managed by the Deputy National Authorising Officer for EDF as the Head of the unit Some of the functions of the unit include preparation of financing proposals, evaluation of tenders, authorising payments and monitoring and evaluations of projects and programmes.
The Unit is inviting applications from dynamic, energetic and proactive Tanzanians with required technical skills and experience to fill the following three (3) vacancies.
Reports to: Head of Finance and Administration
Contract Period: Three years with possibilities of renewal depending on performance and availability of funds
Summary of duties and responsibilities:
- Actively participate in identification and formulation of EU funded projects and programmes with focus on the financing aspects;
- Prepare and process timely and accurately payment orders and payment vouchers for projects and programmes;
- Prepare and process reconciliation statements for all bank accounts and petty cash;
- Prepare and process periodic project financial performance reports;
- Prepare for and attend audits/expenditure verifications of projects managed by the Unit;
- Monitoring tax compliance and exemption process;
- Assist in the tender/ Call for Proposals preparation and evaluation process as secretary or evaluator when needed;
- Assist Head of Finance and Administration to implement activities on administration and human resource management duties;
- Train and support counterparts, Programme Managers,Accountants (Imprest Administrators and Imprest Accounting Officers) on the application of EDF rules and procedures; and
- Other duties assigned by the Management.
Qualification and experience
- Applicants must have professional accounting qualification i.e CPA(T) or equivalent;
- Applicants must have university degree/advanced diploma in accountancy/finance/business administration;
- Master’s degree in business administration or related field will be an added advantage; and
- Applicants must have at least five (5) years working experience in accounting/finance position out of which at least two (2) years working with donor funded projects in areas of accounts/finance.
- Experience in working with EU funded projects on accounting/finance/administration will be considered as an added advantage.
- Excellent IT skills, including the use of accounting applications. Knowledge in Microsoft Navision ERP and QuickBooks will be added advantage;
- Good analytical skills;
- Good written and verbal communications skills, in both English and Swahili;
- Speed and accuracy; and
- Comfortable in working independently with a multitude of different tasks and within strict deadlines in difficult circumstances.
How to apply:
Applications must be directed to Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications by other means will not be accepted. Application letters, up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV) and motivation letter (of not more than one page) must be in English and combined in as one document Your CV must indicate current physical address, telephone contacts and three reputable referees with their reliable contacts including phone numbers and email addresses.
Also, attach compressed folder of scanned copies of Postgraduate/Degree/Advanced Diploma/Diploma/Form IV/FormVI National Examination Certificates and results transcripts (Form IV and form VI results slips, testimonials and all partial transcripts are not acceptable), Professional registration and training certificates from respective registration or regulatory bodies and birth certificates. Certificates from Foreign Universities and foreign examination bodies for Ordinary or Advanced level education must be accompanied by a verification document from Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU) and National Examination Council of Tanzania (NECTA)/ National Council for Technical Education (NACTE) respectively.
An applicant employed in the Public Service should route his/her application letter through his/her respective employers.
Applicants with special needs/case (disability) are supposed to indicate that in their applications.
Please mention the job title/ vacancy name as the subject line when sending application.
Failure to do that your application will not be processed.
Application deadline is on 20th December 2019 at 1530 EAT.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
The post Job Opportunity at European Development Fund, Finance Officer appeared first on Ajira - Nafasi za kazi Tanzania 2019.