Tanzania Forestry Associate
Seeking an exceptional project manager experienced in forestry to spearhead the Tanzania One Acre Fund Agroforestry program.
Currently serving over 50,000 farm families, One Acre Fund has continued to expand their operations throughout Tanzania since opening in 2013.
By 2023, the Tanzania program plans to offer 5 species of trees to more than 175,000 smallholder farmers. This will include timber, fruit, and soil-improving species. In total, this agroforestry portfolio is projected to create $8,400,000 of farmer financial impact by 2023. The Agroforestry Associate will drive the success of this plan.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Farmer demand: Rigorously assess farmer demand and impact potential for various agroforestry species
• Multi-department risk assessment and mitigation: Assess and mitigate risks in trial complexity through close collaboration with Field Operations, Logistics, Business Operations, and Inputs teams
• Financial impact projections: Develop tree impact models, collaborating with M&E to execute annual agroforestry impact assessments in the field
• Maximize farmer returns through training: Develop and oversee execution of training content for 5+ tree species
• Tree Production and Logistics: Trial various production/sourcing and distribution methods for tree seedlings, such as production partnerships or setting up farmer site-based nurseries
• Innovation in Market Access: Opportunistically explore market access opportunities for Hass avocado and other marketable tree products
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking 1 exceptional professional(s) with 3+ years of work experience and ideally a demonstrated passion for our mission. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
• Formal education or work experience in forestry
• Strong educational background; Masters degree preferred
• Demonstrated leadership experience at work, or outside of work, enthusiasm for learning, and openness to feedback.
• Ability to build teams and collaborate with colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
• Language: English, Swahili preferred
PREFERRED START DATE
As soon as possible
Iringa or Mbeya, Tanzania