Appropriate Technology Officer
Location: Stone Town, Unguja Island, Zanzibar
Hours: 7:00 – 17:00, Monday to Friday (variable)
Annual Salary: Confidential
Reporting: Unguja Zone Operations Manager
MISSION, VISION, VALUES
Community Forests Pemba (CFP) is a Tanzanian non-governmental organization founded and headquartered on Pemba Island, Zanzibar which has been working with local partners and its international sister organization, Community Forests International since 2008 to advance shared goals of social, economic, and ecological prosperity. Together we have planted over 3 million trees, innovated several new climate-smart technologies and enterprises, and demonstrated that the best solutions come directly from the people who need them most.
Mission: To overcome poverty and adapt to climate change by sharing knowledge, advancing sustainable livelihoods, and restoring the natural environment.
Vision: Zanzibar communities thrive in harmony with the natural world.
- Trust is essential to strong relationships, and relationships are the foundation of our work. We act with honor and integrity to preserve trust between all members of our community.
- Solidarity. Tuko pamoja – we are together. Everyone is equal and has a role to play in creating positive change. We believe in sharing our challenges and working as one.
- Impact. We believe that we can change the world through innovation in Zanzibar. We share our local lessons and stories widely to maximize our positive impact globally
Key Performance Indicators
- Deliver physical resources and appropriate technologies to over 3,500 small scale farmers per year (55% women, 50% youth).
- Oversee evaluation, selection, and procurement of over 45 water conservation units, 60 propagation units, 30 small mechanization units, 1,250 kilograms of diversified seed, and 125 tonnes of organic inputs for small scale farmers per year.
- Provide field training in proper application and maintenance of appropriate technologies and ensure achievement of world-class outcomes including increased productivity for 80% of small-scale farmer beneficiaries and increased value addition on local produce for 100% of small-scale farmer direct beneficiaries.
Quality Assurance and Value Add Processing
- Oversee procurement, installation, and operational establishment of two 600 sq. ft. multiwall double-glazed solar dryers.
- Provide technical input to the development of two cooperative horticulture quality assurance and preservation facilities.
QUALIFICATIONS & ABILITIES
Experience and Technical Skills
- At least 5 years professional experience in a similar role.
- Excellent mechanical and technical skills including direct experience operating horticulture production technologies and facilities.
- Budgeting and financial tracking experience.
- Engineering, project management, and enterprise development training and experience are assets.
- Proficiency in digital applications including but not limited to Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Swahili.
Communication. Effectively explain complex concepts in simple, clear language and accurately interpret the ideas, information, and needs of others.
Accountability. Holds self and others accountable for all decisions and interpersonal relationships while following through on commitments and focusing on those activities that have the greatest positive impact.
Innovation and creative problem-solving. Ability to develop new and better ideas or solutions that result in the improvement of team performance or outcomes.
To apply, please send a cover letter and Curriculum Vitate (CV) outlining your experience as it relates to this job description to email@example.com with the subject heading ‘Appropriate Technology Officer’.
Community Forests Pemba is committed to diversity in our work environment and we encourage applications from both women and men, young and old, and persons living inside and outside of Zanzibar. This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
The post Appropriate Technology Officer at Community Forests Pemba appeared first on Ajira - Nafasi za kazi Tanzania 2019.