Vacancy Notice No: TANKS/VN/20/006
Position Title: Senior Protection Assistant (01 post)
Duty Station: Kasulu, Tanzania
Duration: Nine (9) months
Start Date: Immediately
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Protection Officer-SGBV and over all supervision of the Protection Officer, the incumbent will undertake the following responsibilities.
The Senior Protection Assistant provides quality, timely and effective protection support to persons of concern (PoC) and identifies opportunities to mainstream protection methodologies and safeguards in operational responses. S/he contributes to designing a comprehensive protection strategy and may liaise externally with local authorities and partners on protection issues as guided by the supervisor.
The Senior Protection Assistant also ensures that PoC are involved in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems. To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with persons of concern particularly women, girls, children and survivors of Sexual and Gender-Based Violence (SGBV) including men and boys on issues related to prevention, mitigation and response towards SGBV, with the involvement of local authorities, protection and assistance partners.
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Provide counselling on protection issues to PoC; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documentation.
- Monitor SGBV prevention related activities in the camp and ensure persons of concern participate in addressing SGBV issues within their community.
- Assist in preparing and conducting SGBV trainings and facilitate awareness campaign on human rights targeting refugees and local community around the camp.
- Work closely with Protection-CBP and partners staff to facilitate commemoration of events. Integrate SGBV survivors and Persons with Specific Needs in educational and women empowerment activities of self-reliance opportunities.
- Support activities in protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Conduct preliminary information gathering and interviews in support of eligibility, status determination, durable solutions and social needs assessment.
- Contribute to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness.
- Contribute to a country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Contribute to a country-level education plan for PoC as part of the protection strategy.
- Monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Participate in individual protection case management including cases of SGBV and child protection. Monitor and report on cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents.
- Assist in identifying durable solutions for PoC in voluntary repatriation, local integration and where appropriate, resettlement.
- Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Draft reports, routine correspondence, update relevant databases and compiling statistics within the Area of Responsibility (AoR).
- Contribute to initiatives to enhance national and local protection capacities.
- Select PoC for preliminary interviews and decide which relevant information to share.
- Enforce integrity in the delivery of protection services by local implementing partners.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education and Professional Work Experience
- Completion of secondary school education
- 2 years of relevant experience
- International Law, political science.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language
Desirable Minimum requirements
- Good computer skills.
- Completion of UNHCR Protection learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- IT-Computer Literacy
- CL-Protection & Solutions Awareness
- PR-Protection-related guidelines, standards and indicators
- PR-Refugee Protection Principles and Framework
- Analytical thinking
- Political Awareness
- Stakeholder Management
How to Apply
Interested candidates should express their interest by completing the attached Personal History Form and the Supplementary form if needed in full. Please bear in mind that submission of the Personal History Form which is not signed may render that applicant ineligible for consideration. Please quote the Vacancy Notice Number and Position title.
Due to the volume of applications only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be called for oral interview.
Qualified female candidates and candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply.