Wash Officer-Hygiene Promotion
Categories: WASH Officer-Hygiene Promotion
Location: Nduta camp, Kibondo
Start Date: ASAP
Contract duration: 5 months
PURPOSE: The WASH Officer under the management and supervision of the WASH Team Leader will be responsible to implement different activities of DRC related WASH program to ensure the program’s objectives are achieved. The post holder is directly responsible for all Sanitation and Hygiene aspects on WASH in both three camps of Nduta, Mtendeli and Nyarugusu and host communities.
The mainly activities will include
• To facilitate various training and campaigns on COVID-19 prevention and response in the camp setting and host community level through various approaches including using PA, posters, training to community hygiene promotors, zonal leaders and community leaders and members.
• To provide day to day hygiene promotion activities through supervising the Community Health Promotors who are working directly with refugees to ensure that they provide knowledge, to change altitude and adaptation of good hygiene practices led to reduce the transmission of communicable diseases as well as to ensure that POCs are received and use properly the distributed various hygiene kits at their respectively camps and surrounding host communities.
• Work with local leaders at community levels in identifying, mobilizing and sensitizing target communities for water, sanitation and hygiene promotion.
• Identify the target behaviors that need promotion for the prevention of the COVID-19, the target audience and the settings (homes, public spaces such as workplaces, marketplaces, places of worship, public transport, etc.) in which to practice and promote these behaviors. The same behavior might require a different promotion strategy in different settings.
• Identify appropriate interventions based on the review of evidence of barriers to performing the behavior, effective communication channels, public health risks assessment and past experience, and in consultation with government and partners, chose the mix of interventions that is right for the context, the target groups, target behaviors and settings you have identified.
• Work with the Hygiene and Sanitation clusters at community levels in identifying, mobilizing and sensitizing target communities for sanitation and hygiene promotion.
• Implement hygiene promotion activities building on existing community engagement activities (e.g. hygiene, health, education, nutrition promotion)
• Participate in collection of useful data success stories and beneficiary lists as required.
• Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports for donors.
• To lead the training to the WASH committee (Burundians) related to hygiene and sanitation issues.
• Leading the WASH distribution team in the distribution of various kits in order to serve in a proper way.
• Together with the WASH team, hygiene and sanitation officer is required to do proper supervision of construction of sanitation facilities i.e. construction of various types of latrines including household latrines, family shared and emergency latrines, decommissioning and replacement of full family shared latrines and installation of handwashing facilities.
• Together with the government extension staff, specifically, the Health Assistants (HAs), Village Health Teams (VHTs), play a lead role in mapping out communities for village sanitation improvement, especially during the CLTS/PHAST/CHAST role out exercises.
• Contribute to grant proposals in area of hygiene and sanitation facility construction and promotion.
• Collaborate with relevant Internal and External technical experts on issues related to Hygiene and Sanitation Promotion.
• Represent DRC at WASH Cluster meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings with the donor and external partners on all aspects related to hygiene and sanitation promotion.
• Ensure integration of WASH activities with other DRC sectors.
• Coordinate with WASH counterparts in Nduta camp and other locations in the implementation of common funded projects.
• Ensure good representation and reputation of WASH Sector at all levels.
• Actively participate in internal coordination meeting
• Ensure and actively participate in a regular sector meeting.
• Together with the WASH Team Leader, initiate development of project concepts and proposal documents in respect to WASH.
• Develop the project’s M&E tools for monitoring the technical aspects on WASH.
• Ensure effective implementation of the WASH Projects in line with the UN and Tanzania National Standards and Policies.
• Provide technical support to WASH Assistants to ensure they execute their duties effectively.
• Ensure quality control of implementation of WASH activities in accordance to SPHERE, UNHCR and Tanzania National standards.
• Prepare WASH daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports to relevant authorities.
• Execute other duties as signed by the supervisor.
• To ensure that all work is carried out in a way that is sensitive to community needs and gender issues. In particular to promote the full and equal participation of women in all aspects of the work and to ensure that DRC’s response is in line with the needs of the refugees.
• To ensure that work aims to meet Minimum Standards and adheres to DRC’s emergency guidelines and protocols.
• Representation of DRC at WASH exercises in the field and ensure integration of WASH activities with other DRC sectors.
• Coordinate with WASH counterparts in Nduta camp in the implementation of common funded projects.
• Ensure good representation and reputation of WASH Sector at all levels.
• Actively participate in internal coordination meeting in the camps and other locations when needed.
• Supervise the WASH Hygiene and Sanitation Assistants.
• Provide technical and programmatic leadership for the WASH staff members and community-based staff in Nduta camp operational area as needed.
• Uphold DRC’s code of conduct and principles of accountability.
• Support the WASH Team Leader to monitor financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow ups on a daily/weekly/ annual basis.
• Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different clusters within the Project Implementation Area.
• Initiate procurements and ensure their execution and ensure the delivery of supplies to the right beneficiaries following our SOPs.
• Contribute to grants management of all WASH projects through management of day to day project expenditures.
• The WASH Officer (Water Hygiene and Sanitation) reports to WASH Team Leader –Nduta Camp.
• Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Health Science, Water Engineering or WASH related course from recognized institution. Social science courses can be considered if relevant experience is available.
• At least three years’ experience in implementing WASH project especially in hygiene promotion using various approached i.e. CLTS/PHAST/CHAST etc.
• Thorough knowledge of WASH national and international standards
• Strong competence in English literacy
• Proven skills in computer programs (Word, Excel, and statistical packages)
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Excellent skills in report writing and meeting dead lines
• Demonstrated ability to work in emergency or war conflict areas
• To establish effective working relations with the other team members and other stakeholders.
• Ability to work under pressure and culturally sensitive.
• Proven commitment to accountable practices.
• Knowledge of working in challenging environments.
• Proven ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours.
• Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision.
• Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player.
• Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations at all levels.
• Previous experience in international organizations and humanitarian settings.
• Previous experience working with refugees or IDPs or other vulnerable populations.
Female are highly encouraged to apply.
The post Wash Officer-Hygiene Promotion, Kibondo Tuma Maombi Mapema appeared first on Ajira Zetu.
The post Wash Officer-Hygiene Promotion, Kibondo Tuma Maombi Mapema appeared first on Ajira - Nafasi za kazi Tanzania 2019.