BRAC is one of the world’s largest development organization having extensive development programs globally. BRAC’s vision is a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination where everyone has the opportunity to realise their potential. We use an integrated model to change systems of inequity through social development programmes, humanitarian response, social enterprises, socially responsible investments and a university.
We are a global leader in developing cost-effective, evidence-based programmes in conflict-prone and post-disaster settings and were ranked the #1 NGO in the world for the last four years consecutively by NGO Advisor. We operate in 14 countries across Asia and Africa.
BRAC in Tanzania is seeking applications from competent, dynamic and self-motivated individual to fill up the following position below:
BRAC Enterprises Tanzania Limited through its project ’Playful Learning for Young Children in Tanzania’, aims to catalyze the ECD (Early Childhood Development) private sector in Tanzania, by developing a ‘Hub & Spoke’ business model for the provision of low-cost, high quality and scalable play-based ECD – improving the cognitive, physical, socio-emotional and language development of children aged 3-5 from low income families in Dar-Es-Salaam.
The project is sequenced across 30 months. There is 6-month set-up phase from (July – December 2020) and operations phase (Jan 2021 – Dec 2022). The GM’s role includes driving forward the development of the Hub and Spoke model as a Social Business and ensuring the effective day-to-day running of the business including efficient application of project resources.
Position: General Manager (GM)
Location: Dar es salaam
The General Manager (GM) is responsible for the overall daily management of the social business including supervision of staff and programs and assisting the supervisor in any capacity required.
The specific responsibilities include:
● Setting up and running one pilot ECD Social Business based on BRAC’s preliminary business model (with support from BRAC UK, BRAC USA and BI) – this will include location selection, staff hiring/training, enrolling students, engaging parents, monitoring performance and incorporating lessons learned into the development of the final business model;
● Refining and agreeing on the full setup and implementation (pilot) work plan and deliverables.
● Directing and coordinating activities of the ECD social business throughout the pilot phase.
● Ensuring the delivery of all project outputs and activities; delivering them on time and within budget.
● Overseeing all office functions including payroll, purchasing and procurement, accounts payable and receivable, tuition billing and payment, human resources, and personnel management.
● Evaluating and overseeing the implementation of a School Management System and other technology options as needed, to improve the management and effectiveness of the business.
● Managing relationships, partnerships and knowledge sharing with staff and key stakeholders.
● Managing adherence to quality standards in accordance with country laws and regulations. This will involve assessing regulatory requirements and risks, developing a plan for advocacy, facilitating legal and financial compliance, and engaging with government stakeholders as needed.
● Ensuring that the needs of the students, parents, and the goals of the ECD social business are met appropriately.
● Maintaining all records in accordance with established procedures and guidelines.
● Facilitating a monthly Technical Advisory Committee with BRAC UK, BRAC USA and BI.
● Providing effective financial oversight and budget management.
● Delivering quality quarterly reports on progress to BRAC UK, BRAC USA and BI.
● Supporting BRAC UK, BRAC USA and BI with further fundraising, as needed.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
The successful General Manager will need a range of business/ entrepreneurial skills and project management skills. These include:
● Strong English competency;
● Excellent analytical, planning and organizing skills;
● Practical skills in managing and operating a successful business (social business preferred) including demonstrated ability to take direct action where necessary;
● Strong understanding of business modeling and very comfortable with data analysis and finance;
● Ability to apply creative solutions to refine and improve the business model(s);
● Knowledge of the project life-cycle and a solid knowledge of the components of best practice project management, including resource allocation and mapping, maintaining a log frame, Gantt charts, critical path analysis, risk and resource conflict management and a thorough understanding of project budgets;
● An effective public speaker, able to communicate to external ECD stakeholders and communicate a clear vision to motivate a small team to deliver that vision;
● Excellent, clear and high quality report writing, with an analytical mind and attention to detail;
● Able to use Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint to capture, report and communicate complex data and ideas;
● Familiarity with accounting software/programs such as QuickBooks
● Excellent relationship building & networking skills to create and sustain relevant relationships with external stakeholders and manage knowledge appropriately;
● A dedication to managing details and delivering activities to a high quality on time and on budget;
● Confidence to ask for help from BRAC’s international teams and comfort with assessing mistakes and learning from them;
● Participatory and inclusive skills to work across BRAC’s internal teams;
● Ability to work in a fast and complex environment with stakeholders from multiple cultural backgrounds and with different levels of skills and English language ability;
● GM must be able to embrace cultural relativism and avoid subjective assessments to remain respectful and mindful of the value all stakeholders have to offer at all times.
Desirable skills and competencies include:
● A track record of securing different forms of capital investment such as project funding, social impact investment, debt and equity;
● An understanding of the education sector in Tanzania, and ability to understand ECD from a needs and demand perspective;
If you feel you are the right match for the above-mentioned position, please apply by sending your CV and cover letter to:
P.O. Box 105213,
The application deadline is 10.08.2020.
(Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted). BRAC Tanzania is an equal opportunity employer and is against all forms of exploitation, discrimination, and harassment at the workplace.
The post General Manager (GM) at BRAC International Tanzania appeared first on Ajira - Nafasi za kazi Tanzania 2019.