UNHCR Field Office Kibondo invites qualified internal and external candidates to apply for the following position:
Position: Communications Associate
Vacancy Notice No: KBO/VA/2020/007
Position Title: Communications Associate
Category: General Service
Type of Appointment: Fixed Term Appointment (FTA)
Remuneration: Attractive salary (G6) and entitlements according to UN Staff Rules and Regulations
Duty Station: Kibondo, Tanzania
Duration: 1 year
Start date: Immediately
The Communications Associate is supervised by the UNHCR Head of Field Office, Kibondo, while receiving regular technical guidance from the Communications Officer in Dar es Salaam. The incumbent works quite independently on regular assignments with an oversight from the supervisor. In discharging his/her functions, the incumbent keeps frequent contacts with staff at various levels in the office and, occasionally, with staff at the same level in other duty stations and/or the Representation office in Dar es salaam; with the media, local NGOs, implementing as well as operational partners, and other UN agencies.
The Communications Associate is required to provide support in executing a range of communications activities in the fields of news and media relations, multimedia content production, social media engagement, video production, Goodwill Ambassadors and other influencers, public outreach and campaigns, fundraising, analytics and brand. The incumbent is also required to help strengthen coordination and editing office documents in FO Kibondo, support advocacy, awareness-raising and digital fundraising efforts and work plans.
**FUNCTIONAL STATEMENT***. Describe the accountabilities, responsibilities and authorities associated with the position.*
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Support the implementation of communications strategies for countries, situations and special projects within the area of responsibility; help identify thematic priorities and target audiences to meet UNHCR’s global, regional and country-level communications objectives of leading the narrative, generating empathy and mobilizing action for forcibly displaced and stateless people.
- Monitor news and popular trends to insert UNHCR’s messaging into ongoing conversations; identify key moments for proactive communications.
- Help forge strategic partnerships with individuals and organizations who can help produce and promote UNHCR content, activities and messaging as well as provide research insights to improve communications; promote the work of engaged businesses and civil society actors.
- Support the development of news-driven and authoritative content to lead the narrative on forced displacement and show UNHCR’s impact (e.g. interviews, press releases, flagship reports, speeches), create emotive storytelling to generate empathy (e.g. stories, multimedia content) and mobilize action by signposting concrete steps people can take to help refugees (e.g. digital diplomacy, action-driven campaigns, fundraising).
- Help ensure that content created reaches maximum impact by supporting the development of strategies for distribution from the outset, boosting the visibility of out content on relevant UNHCR channels and placing it on external channels.
- Help monitor the implementation of communications projects and adjust accordingly.
- Assist in research, preparation, editing and production of professional media and communications materials for target audiences and ensure their timely dissemination via UNHCR’s communications channels, ensuring highest quality standards.
- Continually maintain and upgrade communications skills, keeping abreast of emerging platforms and tools, and systematically reviewing media impact results and other measurement tools for learning purposes.
- May be required to assist in implementation of campaigns, events and other initiatives in support of UNHCR’s strategic objectives, including its need for a leading share of voice on refugee and related matters.
- May be required to undertake missions and field trips with media and other official visitors in support of UNHCR and its work.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
Liaise with external partners and local organizations on behalf of UNHCR. Produce reports and briefings for internal and external partners.**
Essential & Desirable Minimum Requirements:
Education: Completion of High school diploma with certificate/training in Journalism, Social Sciences, Humanities or related fields.
Work Experience: Minimum 6 years of previous relevant professional job experience.
Desirable Qualifications and Competencies:**
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of MS Office applications. Excellent drafting skills.
- Experience implementing communications strategies. Professional writing and editing skills. Experience working on advocacy campaigns.
- Drafting and editing content for International Organizations
- CO-International Media Contacts
- CO-Journalism (incl. print, broadcast, photography, video, layout & graphics)
- ER-Digital channels including social media, website, mobile, email and online advertising
- CO-Video production for digital platforms (including news organizations)
- CO-Web publishing and content management
- Multimedia content production skills
Excellent knowledge of English and Kiswahili (written/ oral/ comprehension).
Working knowledge in French and/or another UN language is an advantage.
All jobs at UNHCR require six core competencies and at least three cross-functional competencies.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Analytical Thinking
- Innovation and Creativity
- Political Awareness
How to apply
Interested applicants should express their interest by completing the attached new Personal History Form and the Supplementary form if needed in full. Please note that submission of the Personal History Form which is not signed may render the application ineligible for consideration. Submission of the Personal History Form is MANDATORY and cannot be substituted by a Curriculum Vitae. Please quote the Vacancy Notice Number and Position title as the subject of your email.
The Expression of Interest for the position should be sent only by Email to:
UNHCR Field Office Kibondo
Due to the volume of applications only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Shortlisted Candidates will be required to sit for a written test. Download the Personal History Form (PHF) for applications which require direct email application:
The deadline for submitting the application is 10th September, 2020.
*Qualified female and candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply.*
The post Job Vacancy at UNHCR Tanzania: Communications Associate appeared first on Ajira - Nafasi za kazi Tanzania 2019.