Deputy Minister of Agriculture Hon. Omary Mgumba has assured maize growers in Rukwa region that the completion of a modern maize storage project will solve the market problem for farmers who for the 2019/2020 season have been suffering from many buyers from neighboring countries closing their borders. due to pneumonia (Covid-19) and thus unable to enter our country and buy these products.
Mh. Mgumba said that NFRA has now stopped buying crops because of the assessment of farmers who claim NFRA money where as of 18.9.2020 there was not a single farmer claiming the money and added that due to many NFRA warehouses stocked it has led them to fail to buy more while warning them that the government does not want to borrow from farmers knowing that these farmers are currently preparing for the new agricultural season.
“But the second thing they did and the other place they kept standing, is because the warehouses are full, there is no place to put it. The evidence is you people of Laela, that’s why I wanted to make sure by going inside first, I found it inside full, no place to put it and that’s why. The government enabled NFRA to build new warehouses and new sheds to increase NFRA’s ability to store more maize and buy more maize from farmers and other people, ”he said.
“Market instability is the cause of the Corona epidemic, which is why you see buyers from neighboring countries around us, Rwanda, Kenya, Uganda, Congo have declined this year and if they come they are very few, because there they are still closed due to the impact of the disease. of Corona, so the buyers are left to us Tanzanians, someone should take it here and maybe Dar, Dodoma, Morogoro or Mwanza, fortunately last year we had the good fortune it rained well so most of the rice has agreed, and the maize has accepted so we hope this situation will be temporary “After the Corona epidemic subsides in neighboring countries the markets will open and the situation will be better,” he stressed.
Reporting on the procurement of maize and its storage in Rukwa and Katavi regions, the Acting Manager of Sumbawanga region comprising those regions Marwa Range said that at present NFRA can store a total of 38,500 tonnes of produce and when the warehouse and warehouse project is completed Crop storage will increase to 58,500 tonnes for Rukwa region alone, with Katavi Region currently able to store 500 tonnes but if completed the project will be able to store 28,000 tonnes and make NFRA Sumbawanga region capable of storing a total of tonnes 86,500 of crops.
“For the 2020/2021 season the Sumbawanga region was planned to purchase 55,000 tonnes of maize at its main and small stations due to warehouse challenges. Some of the centers could not be opened due to lack of warehouses to buy maize, for example in Katavi region. and the ongoing construction of stalls and private warehouses being taken over by cooperatives we have failed to open this facility due to lack of storage space, ”he said.
For his part, the Resident Engineer of the Vihenge Construction Project from the Tanzania Building Agency (TBA) in Rukwa Region Engineer Haruna Kalunga said that the project which is expected to be completed on 3.3.2021 will reach 60 percent by the end of September and the remaining 40 percent expected to be completed within the remaining months .
“We have eight sheds, six large ones, two small ones, five completed one is under construction, two are not yet completed but the foundations have been completed and the outer warehouse has also reached the stage of upgrading the building in the sense of building a column, its construction continues with service The auxiliary in the sense of ‘Dryer’ has already been completed, the reception area has been completed, Burner and all equipment, have arrived, “he explained.
In another step Hon. Mgumba praised the contractors for the construction of these state-of-the-art facilities for being in a timely manner despite their activities having various challenges including the Corona disaster but they have managed to do the job on time and employ Tanzanian workers to a large extent and thus benefit the country by producing professionals of the construction of such sheds.
The post NFRA units to ensure maize market for farmers in Rukwa region appeared first on Ajira - Nafasi za kazi Tanzania 2019.