Senior Environmental Officer
SCOPE OF ROLE
LEVEL OF WORK: II
ROLE TYPE: Individual Contributor
BUSINESS UNIT/ FUNCTION: New Luika Gold Mine, Southwest Tanzania
WORK SCHEDULE: 6 Weeks On/ 3 Weeks Off
Duration: 2 years
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: This position reports to Safety and Environmental Manager.
CONTEXT AND PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
This position is essential for implementation and management of the Company’s Environmental Management System and training and supervising the junior departmental personnel. Senior Environmental Officer is accountable for assisting Safety and Environmental Manager in running environmental functions within the Shanta Mining Co. Ltd; ensures that Environmental Management Plan (EMP) and policies are well implemented. A major purpose of the role is development, implementation and management of the Environmental Management System and providing specialist advice, assistance, education and training to enable line management and contractors to achieve accountability for environmental management
ACCOUNTABILITIES & AUTHORITIES OF THE ROLE
- Senior Environmental Officer has the following accountabilities and authorities:
- Execute environmental management plans, programs and strategies on site.
- Prepare written reports as required, briefs for projects and or services, and strategies, policies and management plans.
- Assist in the coordination of field personnel to ensure works are completed to specified standards.
- Provide technical input into the development of environmental policies, guidelines, and procedures for Shanta Mining Company Ltd
- Facilitate environmental incident reporting & incident investigation.
- Supervise contractors and consultants’ performance as per the company’s standard operating procedures.
- Develop and implement monitoring programs of water quality, air quality, noise & vibration, meteorological, soil and biodiversity and ensure they are maintained and undertaken in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Facilitate the dissemination of information and training of environmental management aspects for all employees.
- Provide input to Safety and Environmental Manager into the development of environmental quality standards, guidelines, objectives, policies, procedures and/or legislation.
- Carryout inspections, conduct investigations, resolve conflict, and take appropriate action.
- Conduct monitoring projects in support of studies, programs, and the development of guidelines and standards.
- Ensuring compliance with environmental legislation and keeping up to date the country and international regulation and legislation.
- Reviewing and updating Environmental Management Systems database.
- Management and monitoring environmental compliance with respect to environmental obligations register and implementation compliance
- Facilitate environmental obligations compliance monitoring, review and update.
- Developing and Reviewing Site Environmental Awareness Training needs.
- Actively participating in a Succession Planning and mentoring programme amongst the Environmental team that ensures that Shanta Mining Company Ltd commitments to the Tanzanian government with respect to the development of department employees to allow them to assume positions of increasing accountability are achieved.
The specific duties of the Senior Environmental Officer include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist in developing and maintaining a current environmental management system to ensure compliance with international environmental standards.
- Develop and coordinate all environmental monitoring processes and systems to ensure that impacts are identified and managed in an appropriate timeframe.
- Assist with environmental reporting requirements.
- Participate in preparing environmental budgets.
- Provide input into solving problems on site with environmental implications and coordinate the development of strategies for their long-term management.
- Provide professional and technical support to employees and contractors to ensure that operating practices comply with environmental best practice.
- Participate in responsible and relevant discussions oriented towards seeking solutions to environmental problems with public and government organizations
REQUIRED SKILLED KNOWLEDGE
Bachelor’s degree in environmental science or Environmental Engineering or related discipline.
- A minimum of 4 – 5 years working experience in environmental management role in a large-scale operation preferably in the mining and extractive industry.
- At least three years experience in industry with exposure to the mining, mineral processing or chemical manufacturing industry is essential.
- Basic knowledge of the mining safety and environmental regulations.
- Intermediate Computer skills in: Environmental Management Softwares or similar; MS Office Software package and Acquire Database Software package.
- Experience in the application of EMS management systems.
Must have knowledge of:
- Demonstrated knowledge of Tanzanian and international regulatory framework for environmental management in general.
- Knowledge on ISO 14001 EMS implementation process
- Audit/EMS management systems
- NEMO registrations for Audit and EIA
Application submission deadline is two weeks from the date of this advertisement. Applicants are invited to submit their Resumes and certificates (indicating the position title in the subject) to:
Shanta Mining Company Limited
P.O. Box 79408, Dar-es-Salaam
Email address: email@example.com